Friday, January 9, 2015

Dendrobium petiolatum

Dendrobium petiolatum is another species from the Oxyglossum section of that genus, one of my favorite groups of orchids.  It is one of the larger species in that section, though still small, and the flowers have all the characteristics of that section.  They are colorful, with a lip that is differently colored and accents the flowers beautifully.  The plant with its round pseudobulbs is 9 cm tall and the flowers, which come in clusters from the top of the older leafless pseudobulbs, are 2 cm.  The species is from New Guinea and this is the first time I've grown and bloomed it.










Note: Kevin, if you see this, I need your address.  I changed email servers and cannot find your address anywhere.  You can contact me at ronaldhhanko @ outlook.com (without the spaces).

16 comments:

  1. Hello Ron, well grown! I've been looking for this species for quite some time. Where did you acquire yours?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for looking and commenting, William. I think it came from Andy's but don't remember for sure.

      Delete
  2. Thank you Ron, I'm on the hunt.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! This is stunning! I'll shoot you an email. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a pretty variety of orchid. I also think, as others have said, the flowers have an uncanny resemblance to Schlumbergera blossoms. A gorgeous set of photos here, too! Especially like the shots 1 & 3 ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Fizzie. That is one of the things that attracts me to orchids, that there is such an amazing variety of forms and colors and pollination mechanisms.

      Delete
  5. What beautiful the bigger than the pseudobulbs and with that pink bouquets so intense... a fantastic Dendro. Congratulations Ron

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ron, the awesome flowers and beautiful photo!! Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Valery. Appreciate your visit and comments.

      Delete
  7. VERY NICE RON! I go away for a minute and you posted some PNGs. Much appreciated. This is one in the group that gives me hell. I cannot get it going. Andy was my source but it took some prying. On my second attempt- no dice. So keep trying Bill.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish you hadn't told me that. I was doing well with it, but now that you told me it's difficult I'll probably mess up and lose it. It actually does well on a stick with a bit of moss growing around the roots. I'm giving it high light and the usual cool temps and it seems to be thriving. Has three or four new growths.

      Delete
  8. Awesome! Just got one for my new PNG wine cooler orchidarium. Hope it will do well too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It seems to be a fairly easy species as the Oxyglossum Dendrobiums go. Thanks for visiting and commenting.

      Delete